Obtaining a Florida General Contractor License is a crucial step for individuals aspiring to pursue a
successful career in the construction industry in the rapidly growing industry. This comprehensive guide to Florida General Contractor Licensing will provide you with a step-by-step roadmap to navigate the licensing process efficiently and effectively.
Understand the Licensing Requirements
To become a licensed general contractor in Florida, it is vital to familiarize yourself with the state’s specific licensing requirements. Ensure that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Age Requirement: You must be at least 18 years old.
- Experience: Accumulate at least four years of proven experience in the construction industry through college courses, prior work experience, or both.
- Examination: Pass the Florida General Contractor Licensing and Business & Finance Exams.
- Credit Reports: Obtain a personal and business credit report. These reports are specific to the DBPR and cannot be obtained through a free credit report service.
- Fingerprints: You must obtain fingerprints through a livescan provider.
- Fee: Pay the application fee. This fee varies depending on the on the time your application is sent.
Passing the Florida General Contractor Licensing exam
One of the Florida GC License requirements is passing a series of examinations. These exams include the trade knowledge and business & finance tests. Listed below is helpful information on how to prepare and pass for the exams.
- Obtain and study the necessary materials. These often include books and online classes. We always recommend online classes as they are generally self-paced and offer quite a bit of flexibility.
- Sign up for your exam through Professional Testing.
- Schedule your exam through Pearson Vue.
- Pass your exam!
Please note The License Company LLC doesn’t provide exam preparation services. Learn more about what we do below.
How can The License Company help me get my Florida General Contractors License?
We’re a license application processing company. What does that mean you ask? Well, passing your exam is just the first part of the Florida General Contractor Licensing process. Once you pass your exam, there’s another application needed to obtain your license! This is where we come in. We prepare, complete, and submit your application to the DBPR on your behalf. In addition, we assist you with complying with the requirements of your particular application through our list of approved vendors. These requirements include surety bonds, insurance, credit reports, and many more. Also, have you ever called the DBPR only to wait on hold for hours? We include following up with the DBPR on your application until the CILB makes a final decision on your application. In almost every case, this results in an approval of your license!
How do I get started with The License Company?
Starting the application process with us is easy! The first step is passing your exams unless you have a licensed general contractor who’s willing to qualify your business. If so, you can avoid the exams altogether! If not, you can begin the process by setting up an introductory call or by clicking on “Apply Now” below.