Travel Agency Registrations By State

Did you know that some states require you to register as a travel agent even if you don’t reside in that particular state? It’s true! States like Florida, California, Washington, Iowa, and Hawaii all require that you register your travel agency. If not, these states can issue a cease and desist letter, impose fines and fees, or worse. Keep reading to learn more about travel agent licensing by state.

Apply for your Travel Agency Registration today!

Choose the state or agency in which you’d like to be licensed. Note that the states listed generally require you to register with them if you’re advertising or selling travel related services to their citizens. This is true even if you don’t have a physical location within one of those states which require registration. For example: Your company was formed in Ohio but advertises and sells travel to citizens in Florida.


California defines a seller of travel as any person or entity that sells, provides, furnishes, contracts for, arranges, or advertises that it can or may arrange, wholesale or retail travel.

Does this sound like your business? If so, visit our California Seller of Travel License page to learn more about the state requirements.


Florida defines a travel agency as any resident or nonresident person, firm, corporation, or business entity that offers, directly or indirectly, prearranged travel or tourist-related services for individuals or groups, through vacation certificates in exchange for a fee, commission, or other valuable consideration. Further, the FLDACS indicates that any seller of travel that has a business location in Florida OR that offers to sell travel related services in Florida for individuals or groups is required to register with the state.

Are you selling travel in or to Florida? If so, learn more about the Florida travel agency licensing process.


Hawaii defines a travel agency as any sole proprietorship, organization, trust, group, association, partnership, corporation, society, or combination of such, which for compensation or other consideration, acts or attempts to act as an intermediary between a person seeking to purchase travel services and any person seeking to sell travel services.

Do you want to sell travel in Hawaii? Getting licensed in HI can be very difficult unless you live there. It requires a bank account at a local bank. Sounds easy right? Well, most of the banks on the islands won’t let you open a business account online. You must physically go to the bank, in person, to open the bank account. However, it makes a great excuse to go on a Hawaiian vacation doesn’t it? If you think so too you can apply online today!


Not only is it home to the Hawkeyes and Wartburg College but it’s also home to Iowa Code Chapter 9D. Iowa code requires travel agencies to register with the Iowa Secretary of State if the agency conducts the solicitation of an Iowa resident. Iowa defines a travel agency as a person who represents, directly or indirectly, that the person is offering or undertaking by any means or method, to provide travel services for a fee, commission, or other valuable considerations, direct or indirect.

Want to learn more about becoming a licensed, Iowa travel agent? If so, visit our Iowa Travel Agency Licensing page to learn more.


Washington defines a seller of travel as a person, firm, or corporation that transacts business with Washington consumers for travel arrangements or accommodations.

Have you sold or are you currently selling travel to a Washington State resident? Again, you probably need a license. Check out the exclusions, cost, and other important licensing information on our Washington Seller of Travel Licensing page.